[whatwg] PeerConnection: encryption feedback

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 03:28:28 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> It's possible that ICE doesn't actually negotiate this securely, since
> the STUN server itself is untrusted.  Do you (or anyone else) know if
> STUN negotiation is secure under these circumstances?  Or do you think
> it doesn't matter?

The other ICE peer, the STUN server, the TURN server (if any), and the
signaling channel are all under the control of the attacker in a worst
case scenario (the user being directed to a hostile or hijacked site). The
attacker essentially has perfect knowledge; the only thing we can add that
the attacker doesn't know is a random number with each packet.