[whatwg] Ongoing work on an editing commands (execCommand()) specification

From: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:20:36 +0100
Am 13.03.2011 21:46 schrieb Aryeh Gregor:

> 2) How much work should we go to to produce nice-looking markup?
> E.g., if the user unbolds "baz" in

> should we produce something like

> like WebKit does, or would it be okay to do

> to avoid the complexity, given that this sort of markup shouldn't be
> too common?  I think it's clear that something like "<b>Foo baz
> should we go?

IMO, from the moment you decide to use <b> and not style="bold" (be it
due to a user selectable mode or not), style="bold" should actually be
totally avoided. Thus, the CSS bolding in your example should be
replaced by <b> tags:

I think that the code generated should be homogeneous, independent from
the original markup (which may be copy-/pasted from various sources).
That means, the bolding in your example would be changed to <b> already
when the contenteditable element is built, or when the fragment is
pasted in.