[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:27:54 -0500
On 3/3/11 5:20 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Are there the known to be pages that users frequently encounter that create and set src on a large number of script nodes without inserting them?

Not known to me, no.  I've seen pages that create lots of scripts (one
per each dynamic action they want to do), of course.

> Or is this a theoretical concern about accidental resource exhaustion?

More this, yes.

> Is the expectation that IE is safe because the accident happens on a sniffed branch that IE doesn't get?

No, IE is safe because it coalesces the script loads in weird ways as
discussed earlier in this thread.

> (I still quite like the idea of starting fetch upon setting .src and making insertion trigger evaluation. The idea of adding an execute() method scares me. Mainly because having an execute() method is so radically different from how things have worked so far and having insertion execute degrades gracefully(ish) in existing browsers.)

I admit the graceful degradation argument is pretty tempting....

-Boris