[whatwg] Ongoing work on an editing commands (execCommand()) specification

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:18 AM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com>wrote:

>  > Unstyling a Range doesn't work for text decorations because overriding
> > text-decoration property doesn't clear underline nor line-through.
>
> This is already noted as an issue in the spec (under "underline" in
> the command list).  I wrote a post to www-style asking for a new CSS
> property to use here:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Feb/0641.html

> Etc.  So if we want a fix that won't fail in corner cases, we need CSS
> support for disabling ancestor text-decoration, and if we have that,
> my current general approach works.

But contenteditable is used in many CMS and we can't ignore the backward
compatibilities. In HTML editing, It's not enough that one browser generates
and renders contenteditable properly. Whatever HTML / CSS one browser
generates must be understood by other browsers.  For example, if I edit a
blog article by a new browser that supports the properties you proposed, I'd
expect the edited article will look same on other browsers that may or may
not support the proposed properties.

- Ryosuke