[whatwg] Selectors within <style scoped>

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner at google.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 6/17/11 1:39 AM, Roland Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> Having another scoped stylesheet under an element further up.
>>>

>> Why does that matter for the way rules in _this_ sheet are treated?
>>

> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#the-scope-pseudo-class says:
>
> The :scope <http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#scope>
>  pseudo-class *must* match any element that is a contextual reference
> element<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#contextual-reference-element>
> .
>
> so :scope is ambiguous if you have several scoping elements as ancestors.
> :scope in a nested sheet, meant to limit the rule to the nested scoping
> element, may instead match against an enclosing scoping element. Again, see
> the example I mailed earlier.

Actually, re-reading that section I think I misunderstood the meaning. If
only the direct parent of a <style scoped> is considered a contextual
reference element for rules in _that_ style-sheet (rather than an element
being a contextual reference element for _some_ scoped stylesheet), there is
no ambiguity.

So please disregard my ramblings.

- Roland