[whatwg] The blockquote element spec vs common quoting practices

From: Jorrit Vermeiren <mercator+whatwg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:54:49 +0200
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:48, Tantek ?elik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:35, Karl Dubost <karld at opera.com> wrote:
>> I like the pattern id/for pattern of forms. We could imagine

>> has written plenty of a wonderful thing
>> in <cite for="quoteA">Amazing title</cite> very similar to those in
>
> I really like this pattern.
>
> <label for="input-id"> is a known working and in use pattern.

It is a known working pattern because it actually has a direct effect
on the UI, not because for+id is somehow more intuitive than its
inverse, id+cite, which is currently not being used. It makes the
label act as a click target for its associated input element, which is
especially useful for radio buttons and checkboxes. That's the reason
why I've used it, in any case, not because I wanted to be semantic in
any way.

Jorrit