[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:42:01 +0200
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Jeroen Wijering
<jeroen at longtailvideo.com> wrote:
> We are getting some questions from JW Player users that HTML5 video is quite wasteful on bandwidth for longer videos (think 10min+). This because browsers download the entire movie once playback starts, regardless of whether a user pauses the player. If throttling is used, it seems very conservative, which means a lot of unwatched video is in the buffer when a user unloads a video.

A lot of people are complaining about this right now, and it needs to
be addressed, but nothing I've seen makes it clear that it's a spec
issue rather than QoI.  I.e., will this still be a problem once all
browsers reliably implement preload="" and iron our their video fetch
behavior a bit more?  Are non-Mozilla browsers working on preload=""?