[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:59:50 +0100
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:41:17 +0100, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> One solution that could work here is to honour dynamic changes to
> 'preload',
> so switching preload to 'none' would stop buffering. Then a script could
> do
> that, for example, after the user has paused the video for ten seconds.
> The
> script could also look at 'buffered' to make its decision.

The only difference between preload=none and preload=metadata is how much
is fetched if the user doesn't interact at all with the video. Once the
user has begun playing, I think the two mean the same thing: "please don't
waste my bandwidth more than necessary". In other words, I think that for
preload=metadata, browsers should be somewhat conservative even after
playback has begun, not going all the way to the preload=auto behavior.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer