[whatwg] Revisiting innerWidth quirks

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 23:05:45 -0800
I've noticed, recently, that FF4b8 on Windows has a minimum
window.innerWidth of 392px.
On OS X, Chrome M10 has a minimum innerWidth of 400px.
IE9p7 has a minimum reported width of 234px.

Height is not restricted so severely.

In FF, at least, using "zoom in" allows the the innerWidth to be
reduced. This is a helpful trick
for testing out more narrow window widths, such as a 200px width.

I don't know that FF supports matchMedia
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#dom-window-matchmedia

As I've noted before, these kind of arbitrary restrictions make it
difficult to test web apps.

They underscore the growing [unnecessary] divide between mobile app and
desktop
app development.

-Charles

PS: I'd still like to see device-pixel-ratio exposed to the scripting
environment
in desktop browsers.