[whatwg] HTML5 video: frame accuracy / SMPTE

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 03:16:59 -0500
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> (Also, it might be useful to be able to chose whether seeking should be fast
> or exact, as frame-accurate seeking is hardly necessary in most normal
> playback situations.)

In an audio engine I worked on I had a seek hint like that, to
indicate whether the priority was accuracy or speed.  It matters even
more with video: when seeking with a seek bar, you may want to snap to
keyframes, whereas bookmarks, "jump to chapter" features, etc. will
often want to jump precisely.  A fast seek option would be
particularly useful for files with infrequent keyframes.

--
Glenn Maynard