[whatwg] whatwg Digest, Vol 82, Issue 10

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 01:53:38 -0500
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> I wouldn't. ?Just because a user trusts some particular entity to know
> exactly where they are, doesn't mean they trust their stalker with that
> information. ?I picked geolocation specifically, because that involves an
> irrevocable surrender of personal information, not just annoyance like
> disabling the context menu.

It's a judgement call, of course; some things are easier to categorize
than others.

Geolocation seems to sit somewhere in the middle: some people don't
care if their location is public, and others care a lot.  By
comparison, *no* informed user would want to give every website
unrestricted local file access; hijackable elevated file permissions
is an inherently critical security failure.

--
Glenn Maynard