[whatwg] Device Element

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:45:49 +0000
On 1/3/11, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 1/3/11 7:47 AM, Diego Perini wrote:
>> Mostly I am looking for other browser to implement this serial access
>> like Firefox does
>
> Firefox doesn't implement "serial access".  It just reads files.  What's
> exposed as "files" on a Unix system can be ... extensive (witness /proc
> on Linux, say).  It's up to the kernel.

This should be leveraged. Standardized API for file access and
standardized file names are a powerful combination. Sysadmins/users
can block or grant access to files, without even informing the browser of
the criteria or how requests are evaluated.

>>> For example can Flash overcome this restriction and access the
>> devices through the "file:" protocol ?
>
> Of course, if the kernel exposes them as files.

Or a userspace abstractions, such as KIO. For those with a KDE bent
of mind.