[whatwg] Low Memory Event

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 05:00:47 -0600
On 1/1/11 2:39 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> "lowmemory" does not need to mean that the OS is experiencing a low
> memory condition.

Uh... then what does it need to mean?

> Tabbed browsing implementation:
> Send a lowmemory event to hidden tabs listening (for lowmemory), that
> have not been visible for more than 60 seconds.

Why would that make sense?  If we're _actually_ in a low-memory
condition that will unnecessarily page in that tab.  If we're not, why
do we want it to drop resources?

> The example requires no OS mem-warnings and would allow use cases such
> as mine, to clean up a little, when lowmemory is fired.

I think you're focusing too much on your specific use case here,
honestly, and not thinking through how this would work in general.

-Boris