[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:17:46 -0500
On 2/22/11 9:55 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> The main arguments for the readyState approach over this have been: it's
> what IE does now, and the "preloading when src is set" has precedent with
> images.
>
> I sympathize with that, since they're aiming to improve the likelihood of
> being implemented--but the precedent it's drawing on seems like a bad one,
> which should be treated as a compatibility hack rather than a precedent for
> new APIs.  From what you've been saying it sounds like it would have the
> opposite effect, making it so hard to implement that it wouldn't gain
> traction.

I think that proposal 3 would be easier (or at least safer) for Mozilla
to implement.

Clearly IE's current behavior would be easier for IE to implement.  ;)

I'd like to know what Opera and Webkit folks think, in terms of
implementation difficulty.

> I also think the other side benefits of this approach are significant, so
> long as they don't make it too hard to implement.  That really needs
> implementor feedback--if you can give that, let me know if you want a more
> detailed recap.

I don't think I do.  Proposal 3 sounded fine to me last I saw it.

-Boris