[whatwg] Proposal: <intent> tag for Web Intents API

There isn't always a href, if left out the value action should be
launched on the current page.

We didn't want to add additional attributes to the meta tag or link
tag just for intents, this seems to open up the flood gates for future
platform features to also extend the meta syntax, the meta element
then just becomes a dumping ground.  If the answer when defining a new
declarative standardized platform feature is to just arbitrarily add
new attributes to the meta data element we will get to a point where
either  we have attributes that are used in multiple contexts or use
of basic attribute name spacing such as "intent-".

Looking at the spec[1] it appears there would still be a relatively
large change to the html5 spec to accomodate these new attributes and
conditional parsing guidelines.

A new tag is simple, concise and encapsulates the features and
requirements of the new platform feature and gives us scope to iterate
for future versions without stepping on the toes of the other features
that might use the meta tag.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-meta-elemen

--
Paul Kinlan