[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

From: Adrian Sutton <adrian.sutton@ephox.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:41:19 +0000
On 28 Nov 2010, at 14:54, Christoph P?per wrote:
> Charles Pritchard:
>> A method for a contentEditable section, along the lines of getSpellcheckRanges() would allow for content editors, to stylize and provide further UI controls around spell checking.
>
> Methinks this belongs into CSS: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0849.html>

This isn't just a styling function though.  User's expect a rich text editor to override the browser default context menu to provide things like properties for images, lists, tables etc and the other stuff usually found in a rich text editor's context menu.  However, once that is done, the browser's built-in spelling suggestions are no longer available, effectively losing support for inline spell checking.

I work for a company that sells both Java applet and pure-JavaScript editor technologies and the support for inline spell checking (without giving up a customized context menu) is one of the most common and most important factors driving people to choose the Java applet over pure-JavaScript.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.
Adrian Sutton, CTO
UK: +44 1 628 353 032  US: +1 (650) 292 9659 x717
Ephox http://www.ephox.com/
Ephox Blogs http://people.ephox.com/, Personal Blog http://www.symphonious.net/