[whatwg] audio and video: volume and muted as content attributes?

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 18:37:54 -0400
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just came across a curious situation in the spec: IIUC, it seems the
> @volume and @muted attributes are only IDL attributes and not content
> attributes. This means that an author who is creating an audio-visual
> Webpage has to use JavaScript to turn down (or up) the loudness of
> their media elements or mute them rather than just being able to
> specify this through content attributes.

I assume the point of these IDL attributes is to allow you to give the
user custom volume and mute buttons.  If you want to mute the video or
change its volume non-dynamically, you could just edit the video file,
so HTML doesn't need to replicate that functionality -- only
JavaScript does, for changes in response to user input.