[whatwg] <device> element, streams and peer-to-peer connections

From: James Salsman <jsalsman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:26:15 -0700
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Mark Frohnmayer
<mark.frohnmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why is relying on TCP for reliable delivery inferior to asking
>> applications to re-implement reliable transmission?
>>

> In real-time networked applications the retransmission delay imposed
> by TCP can cause unnecessary and noticeable hitches in the experience;
> hence many real-time games use custom network stacks built atop UDP

Would it be appropriate to allow selection between reliable delivery
involving delay and unreliable delivery with the shorter delay
characteristics of UDP by allowing the user to select between the
TCP-based asynchronous HTTP/HTTPS multipart/form-encoded POST of input
type=file accept=audio as per http://www.w3.org/TR/device-upload and
use UDP for synchronous or asynchronous device element I/O?

Best regards,
James Salsman