[whatwg] Speech input element

From: Bjorn Bringert <bringert@google.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:05:22 +0100
Back in December there was a discussion about web APIs for speech
recognition and synthesis that saw a decent amount of interest
(http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-December/thread.html#24281).
Based on that discussion, we would like to propose a simple API for
speech recognition, using a new <input type="speech"> element. An
informal spec of the new API, along with some sample apps and use
cases can be found at:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaYxrITemjbxZGNmZzc5cHpfM2Ryajc5Zmhx&hl=en.

It would be very helpful if you could take a look and share your
comments. Our next steps will be to implement the current design, get
some feedback from web developers, continue to tweak, and seek
standardization as soon it looks mature enough and/or other vendors
become interested in implementing it.

--
Bjorn Bringert & Satish Sampath

Google UK Limited, Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham
Palace Road, London, SW1W 9TQ
Registered in England Number: 3977902