[whatwg] WebSockets: what to do when there are too many open connections

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:31:54 +0200
establishing a WebSocket connection:

[[
Note: There is no limit to the number of established WebSocket connections
a user agent can have with a single remote host. Servers can refuse to
connect users with an excessive number of connections, or disconnect
resource-hogging users when suffering high load.
]]

Still, it seems likely that user agents will want to have limits on the
number of established WebSocket connections, whether to a single remote
host or multiple remote hosts, in a single tab or overall. The question is
what should be done when the user agent-defined limit of established
connections has been reached and a page tries to open another WebSocket.

I think just waiting for other WebSockets to close is not good. It just
means that newly loaded pages don't work.

If there are any WebSockets in CLOSING state, then I think we should wait
until they have closed. Otherwise, I think we should force close the
oldest WebSocket.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software