[whatwg] Paragraphs in blockquotes

From: Richard Clark <hello@richclarkdesign.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:06:11 +0100
Hi

We recently received an email from one of our readers on
html5doctor.com that went like this:

"Hi, in HTML 4.0 Strict & XHTML 1.0 Strict, text inside a blockquote
element is required to be nested inside another block-level element,
e.g. p.
In HTML5 that requirement seems to have been relaxed, as the following
element validates successfully:

The HTML5 spec uses the p element in the usage examples, but does not
mention whether it is required.

Can you please confirm if this requirement has now been deprecated?"

We tested the below which successfully validated:

<!doctype html>
<title>blockquote test</title>

So the question is, are block level elements required in blockquotes
or can the p's be removed from the examples in the spec?

Regards

Rich

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rich_clark
http://html5doctor.com