[whatwg] RFC: <input type="username">

From: Justin Dolske <dolske@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 20:16:39 -0700
On 5/4/10 12:08 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:

> 3) Currently autofill for usernames looks for something like
> id="username" or name="username". However on certain websites this
> fails. Furthermore some websites offer a "find other members" feature
> where you could type in a username. I've often seen these fields
> filled in automatically with my name.

Firefox's existing password manager doesn't do this. Roughly, it assumes
the username field is the first <input type="text"> before the first
<input type="password"> in a form.

My previous thinking about this problem was to allow tagging the <form>
element with the names of the inputs to be used for the login. For example:
   <form loginfields="abc,def">
       <input type="text"     name="abc">
       <input type="password" name="def">
   </form>

But I agree with what Jonas noted earlier in this thread; improving the
login experience needs a broader solution than just tweaking HTML
attributes. Additionally, I suspect that the sites with currently-broken
login forms are the ones least likely to change... It's not hard to make
existing sites work with existing password managers, so I don't think
it's a problem more markup will solve.

Justin