[whatwg] Expanding the cite element

From: Simpson, Grant Leyton <glsimpso@indiana.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 22:43:37 -0400
Dear WHATWG list participants,

Forgive me if this conversation has been had before; I've just recently joined the list.

Is there any value in adding an "href" or "uri" or similar attribute to the <cite> element to indicate a location for a work (or information about the work) or, in the case of a URI, an indicator that can be used as a reference programmatically?

If it were a URI (and therefore not necessarily retrievable), it would help in cases where the same work gets referenced in slightly different ways:

?
Best,

Grant Simpson
? Senior Analyst/Programmer, Office of the Registrar
? Doctoral Student, Department of English
? Representative, IU Bloomington Professional Council
Indiana University Bloomington