[whatwg] Use of <p> element inside the <blockquote> element

From: Rimantas Liubertas <rimantas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:59:39 +0200
> Previously in HTML 4.0 Strict and XHTML 1.0 Strict, any content inside
> the <blockquote> element had to be contained inside at least one <p>
> element.

In these cases blockquote allows block-level elements (or script) elements
as its children. So you can have Hx, DIV, table, lists, etc. in it.

> In HTML 5, that requirement appears to have been deprecated as the
> following element validates successfully:

In HTML 5 content model for blockquote is flow content, that includes
pretty much any element with textual content in descendents and the
"bare" text itself as in your example.

> The current HTML 5 specification uses the <p> element in the usage
> examples, but does not mention whether it is required.
>
> For the sake of clarity, might I suggest that in the specification
> document there is a usage example of a <blockquote> element where a
> quote consisting of a single paragraph is included, but does not use
> the <p> element to contain that quote.
>
> Or, maybe a one-line explanation stating that the previous requirement
> of the <blockquote> element re. content being contained in a <p>, has
> now been loosened up.

It is implied by content model for the element, I am not sure if more explict
explanation is needed.

Regards,
Rimantas
--