[whatwg] input type="location" proposals

From: Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:19:08 -0400
> 1. Maps are heavy to get, this means UA should heavily cache and/or it
> should own whole maps data (huge!)
> 2. If 1) didn't exist because UA can, for instance, get maps data in a
> blink of an eye: whose data are we gonna use?
> 3. Maps data are often non-free and non-open, reliable maps data are
> always non-free and non-open.

For type="gps" I was thinking something like the following:
1) type="gps" results in a (double?) text box which takes a latitude
and a longitude
2a) there is some css option that tells the text box to act like a map instead.
2b) If the css option is on there is also some method of requesting a
"map source"
  this source could be any existing map provider

Then again now that I think about it some more I don't see this
working out too well.

--
Eitan Adler