[whatwg] Form validation against invisible controls

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM, TAMURA, Kent <tkent at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> There are some objections against omitting invisible controls from form
>> validation. However, it is a real issue with existing sites and users can't
>> submit such forms at all though they can submit it with non-HTML5 browsers.
>
> How many existing sites? ?What sites are asking for form validation but then
> not actually working with it? ?If this isn't a large number, I would prefer
> to stay as-is and let the sites fix themselves.
>>
>> My conclusion is it's better to disable interactive form validation for
>> existing sites as possible. e.g. disabling interactive form validation for
>> documents without "<!DOCTYPE html>".
>
> I think this is a mistake.

Agreed on both accounts. Both these suggestions add a lot of
complexity to the platform and we should avoid it if at all possible.
To the extent that if there is lots of broken sites out there because
they happen to use attribute names that collide with HTML5, but only
partially match the HTML5 behavior, then we should consider renaming
those attributes in HTML5.

/ Jonas