[whatwg] audio and video: volume and muted as content attributes?

From: Kevin Marks <kevinmarks@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:05:25 -0700
Setting volume above 1.0 can be very useful if the original is too quiet.
For example, Quicktime allows a volume of 300% to amplify quiet tracks

On May 31, 2010 11:30 PM, "Philip J?genstedt" <philipj at opera.com> wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:17:03 +0800, Silvia Pfeiffer <
silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Ju...
This would make volume even more special, as a float that reflects as an
integer percentage. Just using the existing definition for reflecting a
float would be simpler.

>> So, I am neither in favor or against of reflecting volume and mute as
>> content attributes. Im...
I'd be fine with reflecting muted if many people think it would be useful.
I'm not the one to make that judgment though.

Volume isn't a huge problem, just not as trivial as one might suspect.
Another thing to consider is that it is currently impossible to set volume
to a value outside the range [0,1] via the DOM API. With a content
attribute, volume="-1" and volume="1.1" would need to be handled too. I'd
prefer it being ignored rather than being clamped.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/urls.html#reflect

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer