[whatwg] WebSockets: UDP

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM, John Tamplin <jat at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Mike Belshe <mike at belshe.com> wrote:
>
>> FYI:   SCTP is effectively non-deployable on the internet today due to
>> NAT.
>>
>> +1 on finding ways to enable UDP.  It's a key missing component to the web
>> platform.
>>

> But there is so much infrastructure that would have to be enabled to use
> UDP from a web app.  How would proxies be handled?  Even if specs were
> written and implementations available, how many years would it be before
> corporate proxies/firewalls supported WebSocket over UDP?

Agree - nobody said it would be trivial.  There are so many games
successfully doing it today that it is clearly viable.  For games in
particular, they have had to document to their users how to configure their
home routers, and that has been successful too.  If you talk with game
writers - there are a class of games where UDP is just better (e.g. those
communicating real-time, interactive position and other info).  If we can
enable that through the web platform, that is good.

> I am all for finding a way to get datagram communication from a web app,
> but I think it will take a long time and shouldn't hold up current WebSocket
> work.

Agree-  no need to stall existing work.

Mike