[whatwg] WebSockets: UDP

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Mike Belshe <mike at belshe.com> wrote:

> FYI:   SCTP is effectively non-deployable on the internet today due to NAT.
>
> +1 on finding ways to enable UDP.  It's a key missing component to the web
> platform.

But there is so much infrastructure that would have to be enabled to use UDP
from a web app.  How would proxies be handled?  Even if specs were written
and implementations available, how many years would it be before corporate
proxies/firewalls supported WebSocket over UDP?

I am all for finding a way to get datagram communication from a web app, but
I think it will take a long time and shouldn't hold up current WebSocket
work.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google