[whatwg] HTML5 (including next generation additions still in development) - Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)

On 7/8/10, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
> On 2010-07-08 02:28, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> This is about the  fourth time I've said it here. Can the person in
>> charge of writing the slow and buggy ajvascript on the HTML 5 spec
>> please remove that?
>>

>> The problem is that that whatwg page causes freezes and crashes in
>> Firefox. i
>
> As a workaround, you can use AdBlock in Firefox to block the offending
> script.  Just manually add this URL to your block list.
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/status.js

Does every user have permission to do that? On any computer? Running
any browser?

Crashing and freezing and throwing js errors is just no good at all.
The user should not be punished for trying to RTM (and some might even
consider RTM itself punishment).

Adding a disclaimer at the top of the page that the page itself is a
stress test might help stop people from linking to it. It wouldn't
help the user who clicked the link, so it isn't a complete solution.

Adding a link to AdBlock plugin at the top of the spec to tell the
user to download it would help, too, but it would still not be fair to
the user because it is too late. It could also be that the user does
not have permission to install plugins or that the browser doesn't
support the plugin, such as IE6.

Why not have a separated link? The link could go in the spec itself or
could go link to a page of test pages. Two clicks makes it so that the
user won't easily click on it by accident.

<H1>HTML 5<h1>
<h3>HTML Tests</h3>