[whatwg] Video source selection based on quality (was: <video> feedback)

From: Tim Hutt <tdhutt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:30:07 +0000
On 16 February 2010 04:44, Hugh Guiney <hugh.guiney at gmail.com> wrote:
> While it is true that the amount of information in the SOURCE image
> does not change, the amount of information in the RESULT image *does*,
> simply by nature of the fact that it is no longer the same image.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Come on, I think you know that
interpolation doesn't increase the amount of information available.
You're just being argumentative.

Youtube's UI is absolutely fine for its intended purpose. In *most*
cases, higher resolution = higher quality, and youtube know that 720p
and 1080p *are* meaningful to the average user (thanks to HDTV
advertising - which is also why they've kept the p suffix).

Anyway, with respect to the actual discussion. My vote is to add two
optional tags to <video>: bitrate="800" (in kb/s) and
resolution="640x480" (native resolution). Then leave it up to the UA
if they want to show a UI to choose, or pick automatically.