[whatwg] stepMismatch with value < min or value > max

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, TAMURA, Kent wrote:

> <input type=number min=0 step=2 value='-1'>
> <input type=number min=0 max=4 step=2 value=5>
>
> Should input.validity.stepMismatch return true in these cases?
> The spec simply says:
>    "that number subtracted from the step base is not an integral multiple
> of the allowed value step, the element is suffering from a step mismatch."
> and doesn't mention the relationship with rangeUnderflow and rangeOverflow.
>
> So I think stepMismatch should work even if value is less than min or
> greater than max.  I'd like to clarify it.

For the first case:

   step scale factor = 1
   allowed value step = 2 * 1 = 2
   step base = 0
   value as number = -1
   step base - value as number = 1
   is 1 an integral multiple of 2? no
   => suffering from a step mismatch

For the second case:

   step scale factor = 2
   allowed value step = 2 * 1 = 2
   step base = 0
   value as number = 5
   step base - value as number = -5
   is -5 an integral multiple of 2? no
   => suffering from a step mismatch

So yes, in both cases it's suffering from a step mismatch. The value's
position with respect to min and max has no effect.

HTH,