[whatwg] comments on SCRIPT ASYNC and DEFER

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:39:03 -0500
On 2/8/10 4:54 PM, Steve Souders wrote:
> 4. "If the element has a src attribute, [snip] the specified resource
> must then be fetched, from the origin of the element's Document."
> If the script has DEFER, the request should not start until after
> parsing is finished. Starting it earlier could block other
> (non-deferred) requests due to a connection limit or limited bandwidth.

Shouldn't this be left up to a UA?  I can see a UA with high enough
connection limits being willing to use some small number of those
connections for deferred scripts even before parsing is done.  The
alternative might end up being for the network to be completely idle
while a bunch of parsing happens followed by a flurry of deferred script

-Boris