[whatwg] Notification API

The Webapps WG is working on a spec for a Web Notification API.  You can see
the current draft at http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebNotifications/publish/,
and I would suggest sending comments to the public-webapps mailing list.

That spec attempts to address the icon+title+text use case, and allows a
user agent to use a third party presentation system as long as that system
can notify of notifications being acknowledged, but also allows HTML as an
option if the device supports it.

I disagree with the claim that HTML notifications are overkill as long as
they can be done securely, it opens up a lot of benefit to have dynamic &
interactive notifications.  Even for the simple case of Calendar reminders
which might have multiple forms of acknowledgement: snooze for N minutes (a
<select> would be nice), or dismiss.

Thanks,
 -John