[whatwg] api for fullscreen()

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:04:23 +0000
Brian Campbell writes:

> I'm a bit concerned about when the fullscreen events and styles apply,
> though. If the page can tell whether or not the user has actually
> allowed it to enter fullscreen mode, it can refuse to display content
> until the user gives it permission to enter fullscreen mode.

Why is that a problem?

> Or even if it's not refusing to display content, it may simply not
> scale the content up to the full window if the user neglects to give
> permission for full screen.

If the user wants the content to be large, why would he withhold
permission?

As I understand it, the risk with full-screen view is that a malicous
site may spoof browser chrome, such as the URL bar, thereby tricking a
user who isn't aware the site is full-screen.

So these scenarios seem relevant:

 1  A malicious site wishes to switch to full-screen view and spoof
    chrome.  The user hadn't asked for full-screen, so withholds
    permission.  The site may at this point "refuse to display content"
    as you put it, but since that content's only purpose is to trick the
    user, its non-display is a good thing.

 2  A user wishes to display some content full-screen, so grants
    permission and views it.

 3  A user doesn't wish to display some content full-screen, so ignores
    any attempt by the site to become full-screen, and continues to view
    it normal size.

I'm struggling to come up with a scenario in which your concerns apply.
Please could you elaborate.  Thanks.

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lskhg