[whatwg] Fwd: Discussing WebSRT and alternatives/improvements

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:

> The main reason to care about the MIME type is some kind of "doing the right
> thing" by not letting people get away with misconfigured servers. Sometimes
> I feel it's just a waste of everyone's time though, it would generally be
> less work for both browsers and authors to not bother.

I disagree that this is the main reason. I was a web developer before
being a browser developer and I can say it was highly annoying dealing
with browsers that sniff content types. There were times where we
wanted to send a file as plain text or binary data but the browser
would sniff it and attempt to handle it.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz