[whatwg] Proposal for Web Storage expiration

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> This relies on sites actually using this feature. I don't see any reason
> to believe sites would use this enough to make a dent here.

A lot of sites set expiration dates for cookies, don't they?

> If an author is aware enough to do this, then he's presumably also aware
> enough to just crawl through the existing keys, nuking the ones that are
> no longer in use.
>
> . . .
>
> That can easily be done without UA support.

Yes, this would just be a convenience.  I don't see anything you could
do with built-in expiration that you couldn't do without.  You could
always emulate it by storing the last-modified date, and then wrapping
every access in a function that checks the last-modified date and
deletes it if it's too old.