[whatwg] Installable web apps

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Aaron Boodman <aa at google.com> wrote:

> Reviving ancient thread...
>

> To get a feel for the different approaches and tradeoffs, I've
> implemented a prototype of this using the two of the approaches that
> were discussed in this thread:
>
> 1. Embed metadata in the page, building off the existing support for,
>

> 2. Link to a separate metadata document:
>

> As I see it, here are the advantages of the two approaches:
>
> 1:
> - a bit simpler
> - builds off the existing features in the platform

- blends with other concepts too. Like the favicon sizes could be used for
other, non-webapp uses.

> 2:
> - DRY-er (doesn't repeat the same information on multiple pages of the
> application)
> - Easier for third-party agents (eg search engines) to consume
> (doesn't require an HTML parser)
> - The browser doesn't have to load a page to consume
>
> Based on this, I'm liking #2 better as a path forward and am going to
> push to get an implementation of this working in Chromium.
>
> Are there any other vendors interested in doing something similar? If
> so, I'd like to hash out the details so we end up with
> interoperability.

We are planning a similar feature for the next release of Mozilla's mobile
Firefox. See:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Projects/WebApp_Support

Some of our current implementation leans more toward #1, but we could look
at #2 for a lightweight, installed webapp design.