[whatwg] Fwd: Discussing WebSRT and alternatives/improvements

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 01:32:49 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Philip J?genstedt
> <philipj at opera.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:42:04 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer <
>> silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com
>>>
>>> Yeah, so the only conforming solution is probably to use CSS3
>>> transition-delay property. That may not be the most elegant solution,
>>> but
>>> it
>>> works.
>>>

>> So, it seems clear that in order to use an HTML parser we have to
>> sacrifice some features or make them more verbose.
>

> That sounds like there are multiple problems, when in fact we are only
> talking about the single use case of timestamps.

I was referring also to the voices markup which is made much more verbose.

> All other requirements are
> met by the existing innerHTML parser. Is it really necessary to throw out
> all the advantages of re-using innerHTML just to avoid some extra markup
> for this single use case?

No, this isn't a critical use case in itself. I'm not fundamentally
opposed to using an HTML parser, I just don't see any great benefits, but
some complications.

>> The whole of the WebSRT parser isn't very big or complicated, so I don't
>> think implementation cost is a strong argument for reusing the HTML
>> parser,
>> especially since at least the timing syntax needs a separate parser.
>

> It's not just about implementation cost - it's also the problem of
> maintaining another spec that can grow to have eventually all the
> features
> that HTML5 has and more. Do you really eventually want to re-spec and
> re-implement a whole innerHTML parser plus the extra <t> element when we
> start putting <svg> and <canvas> and all sorts of other more complex HTML
> features into captions? Just because the <t> element is making trouble
> now?
> Is this really the time to re-invent HTML?

I don't expect that SVG, <canvas>, images, etc will ever natively be made
part of captions. Rather, I would hope that the metadata state together
with scripts is used. If we think that e.g. images in captions are an
important use case, then WebSRT is not a good solution.

If we allow arbitrary HTML and expect browsers to handle it well, it adds
some complexity. For example, any videos and images in the cue would have
to be fully loaded and ready to be decoded by the time the cue is to be
shown, which I really don't want to implement the logic for. Simply having
an iframe-like container where the document is replaced for each cue
wouldn't be enough, rather one would have to create one document per cue
during parsing and wait for all of those to finish loading before
beginning playback. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that amounts to
significant memory overhead.

As an aside, I personally see it as a good things that <font> *doesn't*
work in WebSRT, whereas it would using an HTML parser.

> [...]
>>> through a lot of material and money before realising that your input
>>> files
>>> are "broken" and if you cannot get software support for the new files
>>> implemented, you may need to implement costly manual checking of the
>>> files.
>>>

>> SRT as it is today can and does contain broken timestamps, missing
>> which
>> is broken. If anyone is able to to rely on their input as being
>> well-formed
>> enough as to be put through automatic but costly processes, they'd have
>> have very good control of where their input comes from. I can't see how
>> WebSRT would change that.
>

> I would indeed expect a fairly trusted relationship with the supplier.
> But
> assuming your supplier changes from SRT to WebSRT support in their
> captions.
> If they have two different file extensions, you will notice immediately
> and
> there is a trigger to actually start implementing WebSRT support. If they
> are the same file extension, that will cause the trouble I explained. If
> at
> least there was a version identifier in existing SRT, then we wouldn't
> have
> that trouble at all. But we've had this discussion.
>

>>  The core "problem" is that WebSRT is far too compatible with existing
>> SRT
>>>>

>>> It actually burns down to the question: do we want the simple SRT
>>> format
>>> survive as its own format and be something that people can rely upon as
>>> not
>>> having "weird stuff" in it - or do we not. I believe that it's
>>> important
>>> that it survives. WebSRT can have absolutely anything in it, including
>>> code
>>> and binary data, even if that stuff would not be interpreted in a
>>> browser,
>>> but handed on to the JavaScript API for a JavaScript routine to do
>>> something
>>> with it. It is a great extensible platform. But the advantage of SRT is
>>> that
>>> it is simple and reliably simple. We completely remove this option by
>>> stealing the format.
>>>

>> I've collected some statistics on existing SRT content that I intend to
>> publish soonish. For now, I'll just note that >50% contain some form of
>> markup. Adding to this various ways in which the files could be broken,
>> it
>> seems to me that SRT as deployed is neither really simple nor reliable.
>> Private use of SRT is of course simple and reliable, but that will be
>> true
>> in the future too.
>>

> Honestly, using the existing small mess around SRT as an excuse to turn
> it
> into a huge mess doesn't seem a good argument to me.

I'm just saying that SRT isn't a plain text format today and anyone who's
able to assume it is can only do so because they control the input.

<1>...<infinity>, extensions which are very much in line with the existing
format and already "works" in many players (in the sense that they are
ignored, not rendered). I wouldn't call that a huge mess.

>> Aside: WebSRT can't contain binary data, only UTF-8 encoded text.
>

> It sure can. Just base-64 encode it. I'm not saying it's a good thing,
> but
> if somebody really has an urge...

Sure, this would be a metadata track. Sites have no reason to offer
download links to it, and if anyone gets hold of such a file it would
quickly be evident that it's useless.

>>   Since browser vendors get all the benefits and none of the problems it

>>> If you look at it realistically, we *are* inventing a completely new
>>> format.
>>> WebSRT only on the surface has some resemblance with SRT. When you dig
>>> deeper, it is a completely different format with different aims and
>>> applications. Yes, it covers all the SRT aims and applications, but it
>>> does
>>> so much more! Only some of it will work in non-browsers, others will
>>> utterly
>>> fail and will completely disrupt an already working ecosystem. I think
>>> it
>>> may even have a really bad effect if we introduce WebSRT as SRT in that
>>> authoring software will refrain from implementing support for the
>>> richer
>>> features in order not to disrupt the existing software ecosystem. In
>>> the
>>> end
>>> we might end up with a lot of unsupported features in WebSRT an no real
>>> progress. I much prefer having progress with a transition period with
>>> conscious decisions to support the extra features.
>>>

>> As long as WebSRT is similar enough to SRT that software developers can
>> use
>> the same parser for both, they will effectively become the same format.
>

> There is a difference between "being the same format" and "superceding".
> believe strongly that WebSRT will supercede SRT. But if we make it the
> "same
> format", we simply inherit the mess that already exists. All those broken
> SRT files will continue to be broken WebSRT files. Just by taking over
> the
> format, we will not magically do away with the existing mess.

Right, if the syntax is largely compatible with SRT then all the mess of
SRT has to be dealt with. Not dealing with it would be quite
irresponsible, in which case we should make the syntax fundamentally
incompatible with SRT and forget about it.

Adding a magic number and header to WebSRT might be a good thing to do for
various reasons, but it's not enough to make the format incompatible with
all SRT parsers.

>> If we define WebSRT in a way that can handle >99% of existing content
>> and
>> degrade gracefully (enough) when using new features in old software, it
>> seems reasonable to do. If lots of software developers cry foul, then
>> perhaps we should reconsider. It seems to me, though, that actually
>> researching and defining a good algorithm for parsing SRT would be of
>> use to
>> others than just browsers.
>>

> How is that different from moving away from SRT. If everyone has to
> change
> their parsing of SRT to accommodate a new spec, then that is a new
> format.

Not everyone has to change their parsers immediately, many will continue
to work. However, if someone wants to support SRT in a compatible way,
it's very helpful to have a spec, assuming that WebSRT is actually
compatible enough with existing SRT content.

This is quite similar to HTML4 vs HTML5. There are lots of mostly
compatible HTML parsers, but HTML5 defines a single parsing algorithm, and
slow convergence towards that is a good thing.

If the SRT ecosystem is so fragile that it cannot tolerate any extension
whatsoever, then we should stay far away from it. It just seems that's not
the case.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer