[whatwg] Questions about the progress element

On Mon, 24 May 2010, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> I'm wondering why the value and max IDL attributes have to reflect the
> content attribute with zero as a default value instead of reflecting the
> internal values used to calculate the position. Wouldn't that be easier
> to know what is the internal value and max values by using the IDL
> attributes ?

I've changed 'max' to default to 1 rather than 0, but in general I think
we should avoid having "magic" in IDL attributes that reflect content
attributes, as it leads to very strange behaviour.

> In addition, couldn't the position IDL attribute returns a double
> instead of a float? As we are dividing two floats, the precision may be
> helpful.

I don't really mind; what do implementors think makes most sense here?

If it was up to me we'd just have all the numeric types be infinite
precision in the spec and have the UAs compete on how good a tradeoff they
can offer between precision and performance. :-)