[whatwg] RFC: Alternatives to storage mutex for cookies and localStorage

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:

> I think it's pretty clear that the spec, as is, is not possible to
> implement without making it trivial for a single website to lock up all of
> your event loops....

I don't think that's clear at all, yet.

It's clearly *hard* to implement, and Chris' proposal for transactional
localStorage is a lot easier to implement, so if we can get away with the
compatibility break, we should.

This is especially true if the storage mutex extends to cookies since one
> tab running a poorly written site can lock everything up.

Only if you actually implement the semantics using a single global lock. I
think we could do better.

Rob
53:5-6]