[whatwg] Proposal for local-storage file management

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Jens Alfke wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > Right now this can be done by the site directly.
>
> You mean a download link I can click? Sure, but then the site has no
> ability to access that data later unless I explicitly locate the file
> and upload it. That's not the same thing as a storage area it can
> access.
>
> In case it wasn't clear: In my example, the thing you're saving isn't a
> document file (like an SVG or PDF or whatever) but the actual local
> storage database for the site. Once that's been created, the site can
> continue to use it.

Right. My point is the site can do that already, since we don't ever
_stop_ the site from using the local storage area. It can prompt you for
a name directly, without UA involvement.

> > > I go through my Web Documents folder, see the old
> > > "SooperAnimator.com Data" file, and trash it to save disk space.
> >
> > You can do that today with cookies, which local storage is supposed to
> > be exposed as in the UI. Do users ever look through their old cookies?
>
> You can't store 50MB of data in a cookie. I'm talking about the entire
> local storage of a site here, not a 40-byte session ID or something.

Then that distinction can be what is exposed in the UI to distinguish
"boring" storage from "important" storage.