[whatwg] disabled and readonly attributes

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:15:21 -0500
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Markus Ernst <derernst at gmx.ch> wrote:
> In 4.10.15.2 (disabled) and 4.10.5.2.3 (readonly) I can't find out what UAs
> should submit if an element is disabled resp. readonly:
> - nothing
> - the default value
> - any value that might have been entered, or assigned via DOM, before
> disabled resp. readonly was set to true
> - any value that might have been assigned via DOM, even after disabled resp.
> readonly was set to true
> - or is this up to the UA?

For all of these, the @readonly attribute does nothing but prevent
user interaction.  I'm not sure off the top of my head whether it
prevents script-based manipulation.  There is no effect on the
submitted value.  @disabled prevents the form element from submitting
entirely.

The former is explained under the readonly attribute section in
4.10.5.2.3, the latter is explained in the form submission algorithm
in 4.10.17.3.

> I personnally would appreciate some clarity about this.
>
> Also, <fieldset> has a disabled attribute, but no readonly attribute. Is
> there a reason for this?

Dunno.

~TJ