[whatwg] Use cases for the time element

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2009, at 18:50, Jeremy Keith wrote:
>
>> "The following extract shows how an IM conversation log could be marked up.
>
> What's the point of having the time semantically marked up in this
> example? What kind of processing scenario would benefit?

It might be more valuable if the datetime attribute was used to give the
date and/or timezone information.  This is effictively what the IRC log
for the #microformats channel does.

http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats/IRC/2009-11-27

That would allow, for example, user scripts to automatically convert
times in the chat log to local times.  It could also be used for styling
purposes, so it can be styled differently to distingish it from the rest
of the line.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/