[whatwg] The new content model for <details> breaks rendering in MSIE5-7

On October 14th, Hixie wrote:
> As far as I can see the options are as follows:
>
> 1. Drop support for <details> and <figure> for now, revisit it later.
>
> 2. Use <legend>, and don't expect to be able to use it in any browsers
>    sanely for a few years.
>
> 3. Use <dt>/<dd>, and don't expect to be able to use it in old
> versions
>    of IE without rather complicated and elaborate hacks for a few
> years.
>
> 4. Invent a new element with a weird name (since all the good names
> are
>    taken already), and don't expect to be able to use it in IE without
>    hacks for a few years.
>
> I am not convinced of the wisdom of #4. I prefer #2 long term, but I
> see
> the argument for #3.

It looks like the workaround for #3 isn't quite as arduous as it first
appeared:

http://blog.jeroenvandergun.nl/7-html5-figure-and-details-do-not-break-in-ie

IE's parsing. It's still not ideal but it's much better than the
conditional comment <object> hackery.

(and again, this only relates to versions of IE before IE8)

So, on balance, #3 is looking more reasonable than #2 (which fails in
a lot more browsers).

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith