[whatwg] localStorage mutex - a solution?

From: Mike Shaver <mike.shaver@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:52:17 -0500
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Reading or writing a property on a native object doesn't do it, so
>
> ? window['x'].document.forms['y'].value = 'foo';
>
> ...doesn't release the mutex, though this (identical code) would:
>
> ? window['x'].document.forms.namedItem('y').value = 'foo';
>
> ...because of namedItem() call.

I don't think that we can reasonably expect web developers to do that
kind of analysis, since they are likely to be working through
libraries and other sources of indirection.

(Especially since I bet there is a lot of documentation describing
those two cases as being entirely identical in behaviour.)

Mike