[whatwg] Cross-domain databases; was: "File package protocol and manifest support?"

On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:56:32 +0200, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com>
wrote:
> I buy this thinking too as a better strategy for integrating web apps.
>
> But still, the ability to download a fully formed SQL database, and
> then run SQL against it would be nice.
>
> openDatabaseFromURL(urlToDatabaseFile);
>
> * downloads the database file if needed (per http cache control headers)
> * the database can reside in an appcache (in which case it would be
> subject to appcache'ing rules instead)
> * returns a read-only database object
>
> Of course, there is the issue of the SQL database format.

Would there be a lot of overhead in just doing this through
XMLHttpRequest, some processing, and the database API?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/