[whatwg] Removing the need for separate feeds

On 5/22/09, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> For manually authored pages and feeds things would be different; but
> are there really a significant ammount of such cases out there? I
> can't say I have seen the entire web (who can?), but among what I have
> seen, I have never encountered any hand authored feed, except for code
> examples and similar "experimental" stuff.

Please, let me clarify the intent of this comment was not to say "this
is pointless" nor anything like that; the goal was to encourage people
to post real-world examples of where this feature would be used so it
could be properly evaluated.

Now, having seen some of the cases, I must say that this addition
looks like a good idea, but it still needs some work (some issues and
shortcommings have already been highlighted).
There are cases where keeping a separate feed is still a good idea,
most prominently for site-wide feeds (because it's not possible to put
all the relevant stuff into a single HTML document, unless such
document is made for that purpose, but that would be a separate feed
on itself then), and for cases where the traffic on the feed is
significantly higher than for the document and/or the size of the
document is significantly bigger than the feed. These cases, however,
are just unaffected by the addition, and shouldn't prevent the
relveant ones to take benefit of it.

Regards,
Eduard Pascual