[whatwg] Make quoted attributes a conformance criteria

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:05:05 +0100
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:32:28 +0100, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I don't think there's any value in having the spec take a stance like
>> this.  It's a matter of taste, IMO.
>
> While I don't consider a hard requirement would be appropriate, there
> is an audience sector this discussion seems to be ignoring: Authoring
> Tools' developers. IMO, it would be highly desirable to have some
> guidelines for these tools to determine when they *should* quote
> attribute values.

I think this requirement is even less relevant for authoring tools:

    * It's not a problem for tools to use unquoted attributes in a
perfectly safe manner.
    * Not all code generated by tools is intended to be edited by humans,
and in such cases shorter code is likely to be preferred over
human-readable code.
    * Tools that offer editing of HTML source code may (and often do) have
syntax highlighting and validation.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski