[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>
>> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> Could you elaborate on what your use cases are? Is it just the ability
>>> to manually decode audio tracks?
>>>
>> Some users could manually decode a Vorbis audio stream.
>>
>> I'm interested in altering pitch and pre-mixing channels. I believe some
>> of these things are explored in CSS already.
>>
>> There are accessibility cases, for the visually impaired, and I think
>> that they will be better explored.
>>

> If you could elaborate on these use cases that would be really useful. How
> do you envisage using these features on Web pages?

Use a sound of varying pitch to hint to a user the location of their mouse
(is it hovering over a button, is it x/y pixels away from the edge of
the screen, how close is it to the center).

Alter the pitch of a sound to make a very cheap midi instrument.

Pre-mix a few generated sounds, because the client processor is slow.

Alter the pitch of an actual audio recording, and pre-mix it,
to give different sounding voices to pre-recorded readings of a single text.
As has been tried for "male" "female" sound fonts.

Support very simple audio codecs, and programmable synthesizers.

The API must support a playback buffer.

putAudioBuffer(in AudioData) [ Error if audiodata properties are not
supported ]
createAudioData( in sample hz, bits per sample, length ) [ Error if
properties are not supported. ]
AudioData ( sampleHz, bitsPerSample, length, AudioDataArray )
AudioDataArray ( length, IndexGetter, IndexSetter ) 8 bits per property.

I think that's about it.